South Branch and Tool Lending Library
This site will be completely rebuilt from the ground up. A stunning new building, with solar panels on the roof to reduce energy consumption, is set to become a jewel of the neighborhood:
- Space will be doubled for the adult and youth collections.
- Work areas for staff will be redesigned and made more functional.
- The Tool Lending library will be modernized for better storage and display of tools, improved safety for workers and easier access for all those who depend on this vital, only-in-Berkeley service.
The Neighborhood Libraries Campaign will:
- Bring in custom shelving and new AV equipment to highlight the collection
- Refinish historic benches in the children’s area and add new furniture elsewhere
- Add a community information display to meet the needs of this diverse, densely populated neighborhood
Joshua Daniels, Chair
—James Philips, Berkeley Resident